Just a quick post about a couple of changes around here.
First, if you’re reading this in an RSS reader (which is no skin off my nose) then you won’t be seeing the new, simplified look of the web site (unless you see the header image). I’ve gone with a more modern WordPress theme which gives a simpler look and has allowed me to remove a lot of customisations. It also offers dark mode support. Supposedly this will detect your device setting and switch automatically, but that doesn’t seem to work for me. There is, however, a button in the bottom right corner which lets you switch manually. Oh, and I also threw together a new logotype for the site.
Second, I’ve changed the size at which I publish my images on Flickr. For a while now I had been publishing 3200 pixel wide images for those at 3:2, 16:9, or the occasional 5:2 aspect ratios. For square (1:1) images I sometimes got lazy and published at 3200 pixels square but more often I reduced to 2600 pixels square. The reasoning here is that 3200×2133 (3:2) gives approximately 6.8 Megapixels and 2600×2600 gives about 99% of that figure. In other words, they were of a perceptually similar size. The reason I got lazy sometimes is having to choose different export settings in my photo processing software depending on whether the image was square or not.
Now I’ve simplified my life (I think) by settling on a Megapixel output size which will let the dimensions fall where they may. I’ve gone with 6 Megapixels which leads to the following sizes:
|Aspect Ratio||Width||Height||% change|
My three most common ratios (16:9, 3:2, 1:1 in decreasing order) get a small increase or reduction in (dimensional) size, and the rarer 5:2 ones get quite a large boost!
Note that only the very latest images at the time of this post have these new sizes, and there will continue to be exceptions such as my old scanned material.